Sunday, April 26, 2009

~The wife of bath's Tale~

It's weird how much this story seems like sir Gawain and the Green Knight! It's a little bit odd. When I first read this story I thought that what the Knight took from the lady was a hat or something, but when reading back over the prologue, I realized that it was her virginity. Makes more sense! i was wondering who Ovid was, well I looked it up and Ovid is a Roman poet that wrote about love, seduction, and mythological transformation! And the Wife of Bath tells that the knight comes upon a lady that is magical! He sees 24 women when he is riding up but once he gets to the edge of the woods, there is only one old lady. She magically transformed. well, the whole point to the story I thnk is that , the knight must find out what women really want. Which is what the wife of bath wants, to be in charge of their husbands. When the knight has to marry the old lady, he is completely horrified, hates it, he pretty much says kill me now. In the end the old lady gives him the choice of her being ugly and loyal or beautiful and unloyal. He says "put me in your wyse governance" (just like the wife of bath says she governed her husbands). This pleases the wife, and she becomes both, young and good! I think this is saying that it may be the best for a couple to be governed by the wife sometimes. Maybe thats why the wife of bath loved her last husband so much, because they both governed, he let her govern sometimes, shile he was still in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment