Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Jonathan Swifts' poems (the 1st two)

A Description of a City Shower
lines 55 -57 are my favorite in this poem. Swift seems to be telling it like it is. and I love that he doesn't try to sugar coat anything. I think it's safe to say that all the poems that we've read up until now are sugar coated poop because swifts poems discuss the side of things that know one talked about that's still true today. People don't just go around talking about their poop like it's a normal thing to do and they especially don't write poetry about it. In a description of a city shower we get a taste of what it was really like to live in England back then. Yes, Swift is describing England in this poem not Ireland Like his subject in a modest proposal.
A Modest Proposal
I love Swift's proposal. It's brilliant that he can be so sarcastically great even tot eh point where he thought out every way you can eat a baby. That makes me think, was he really being sarcastic in some sick region of my mind I want to think that Swift is some kind of in the closet cannibal. You know what they say about sarcastic people.... If he's not an in the closet cannibal then he must really have big balls to just go out there and tell people to eat their babies. I think Swift is really passionate about his country. Or really upset with the way things are being handled. You know what I think, I 'm gonna tell you, I think that the government in Ireland was pretending like the famine didn't exits and that people weren't dying of starvation and that's what upset Swift. So in retaliation he wrote a modest proposal to make people think. However, I don't think I really solved the crisis of the famine. It may have made hungry people even madder. They may have even really eaten their babies. The first time i read a modest proposal the teacher didn't tell u anything about Swift and the fact that he was being sarcastic and I thought he was serious. He makes his argument so clear that it's hard to see him as being anything other than serious. He did that on purpose making him really good at what he does.
So far Swift is my favorite author that we've studied

No comments:

Post a Comment