Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Take on "Twelfth Night"


For me Twelfth Night was a love triangle that revolved around the concept of deception and deceit. First, I think that the most obvious example of deception comes from the role of Viola in the play. Viola transforms herself into the cross dressing role of Cesario. She does this in an attempt to gain power by getting in with Orsino. Here is an example of her plot when she asks the Captain of the ship to help her go along with her plan. This quote can be found in Act 1, scene 2. "There is a fair behaviour in thee, captain; And though that nature with a beauteous wall Doth oft close in pollution, yet of thee I will believe thou hast a mind that suits With this thy fair and outward character. I prithee, and I'll pay thee bounteously, Conceal me what I am, and be my aid For such disguise as haply shall becomeThe form of my intent. I'll serve this duke:Thou shalt present me as an eunuch to him;It may be worth thy pains, for I can singAnd speak to him in many sorts of music. That will allow me very worth his service. What else may hap, to time I will commit; Only shape thou silence to my wit. This is one of the most apparent examples of deception in this play. I feel the Viola is a "golddigger". She feels that this is her chance to finally be something. She strikes, and goes all out in order to attempt to accomplish her goal.

The other example of deception in this play comes when Maria forges the letter coming from the Countess Olivia. By doing this Malvolio believes that Olivia is now in love with him. This puts a strange twist by using deceitful tactics that help propell this obscure love triangle. He finds the letter on the path while he is watched by Maria and Sir Toby.

No comments:

Post a Comment