Saturday, April 18, 2009

Beggar's opera


"Life is a jest, and all things show it;

I thought so once, but now I know it."

"The underworld rose to the surface, Crime was constant, brutal threat in early 18th century london, and stories about notorious criminal poured from the press. In the corupt legal system, which rewarded racketeers for informing on othersless powerful felons, the line between those who broke the law and those who enforced it was often smudged." This basically says it all about this story, it is how John Gay talked about what was going on by using humor and taking shots at political system. This is about a slickster who new how to work the crowd, he spoke to his gang buddies and female friends one way and common folks another. I like this one because of its use of music to express how they feel.

" Oh Polly, you might have toyed and kissed. By keeping men off, you keep them on. But he so pleased me, And he so pleased me, What I did, you must have done" and " I, like a ship in storms, was tossed, yet afraid to put to land; For seized in the port the vessel's lost; Whose treasure is contraband. The waves are laid, my duties paid. O joy beyond expression! Thus, safe ashore, I ask no more, My all is in my possession." if you have ever been lonely and finally find the one, just like me you can appreciate this one. Any way this slickster's name is Macheath and he captures the heart of Polly who is the daughter of Peechum, an informer. Worrying about their social status they plan to kill Mcheath because he secretly marries Polly. Mcheath the smooth gangster gets tricked by his female friend, jenny, which is funny because his was tricked by the one he himself though had fooled, just a reminder that there is always one slicker than the next. I enjoy this one more when we read it as a class. I would love to go see a play like this one.






No comments:

Post a Comment