Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sonnets and Wyatt

I researched Sonnets and I found that the sonnet is one of the poetic forms that can be found in lyric poetry from Europe. The term "sonnet" derives from the Occitan word sonnet and the Italian word sonetto, both meaning "little song". By the thirteenth century, it had come to signify a poem of fourteen lines that follows a strict rhyme scheme and specific structure. (I found this definition in the Webster's Dictionary). I also found out according to historians that the best known sonnet writer was Sir. William Shakespeare, because he wrote like 154 of them.

I also found out that( according to google which led me to the Oxford College which is in London website) that The Italian sonnet was created by Giacomo da Lentini, head of the Sicilian School under Frederick II. Guittone d'Arezzo rediscovered it and brought it to Tuscany where he adapted it to his language when he founded the Neo-Sicilian School (1235–1294).

He wrote almost 300 sonnets. Other Italian poets of the time, including Dante Alighieri (1265–1321) and Guido Cavalcanti (c. 1250–1300) wrote sonnets, but the most famous early sonneteer was Petrarca (known in English as Petrarch). Other fine examples were written by Michelangelo.

I thought I would just give you a background on sonnets.



Thomas Wyatt "Whoso list to hunt" I understand that he is talking about the deer and he his basically hunting her and trying to capture her for himself, but he can not. I believe that he is talking his fatal attraction that he had for Anne Boyln.
The way that he describes this deer (Anne Boyln) suggests that she was very adventurous woman and just plain fun, and he was basically trying to tame her.
" I find no peace" I believe that Wyatt is going to through a personal battle within himself. I wonder if his depression in this poem which is translated from Petrach 134, has anything to do with his fatal attraction to Anne. I know that it is a translation, but look what it is translated into. He is basically saying that he has searched and he can not find the inner peace that he is looking for. He has been through all these things in his life and he still cant seem to pull it together.
"my gallery" I dont really understand this poem, except that he relating forgiveness in life to a ship? I guess he is saying that through you are going to have to forgive and that is a struggle, just like navigating a ship through harsh and rough seas. And you are going to have things in your life that is going to break your spirits but you shouldn't give up.
These poems have so many meanings to them, and this is just my take on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment