Wednesday, April 1, 2009

To his mistress going to bed

Line1-Come, madame, come, all rest my powers defy, until I labor, I in labor lie. Line5-Off with that girdle, like heaven's zone glistering. line25-License my roving hands, and let them go Before, behind, between, above, below. O America! my new-found-land, My kngdom, safeliest when one man manned, My mine of precious stones, my empery, How blessed am I in this thee! To enter in these bonds is to be free; There where my hand is set, my seal shall be. I know the title may not be one that a lady would appreciate, but if this poem had a different title( To my wife going to bed) were to be used this poem would be definitely start a fire for two people finding each other or learning each other in love. I would guess like many others you can take the original version and modify it and change its meaning by changing one word "Wife" I enjoyed his use of paradoxes and metaphors. George Herbert's Love III " Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back, Guilty of dust and sin. But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack From the first entrance in, Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning if I lacked anything. A guest, I answered, "worthy to be here" Love said, "you shall be he" "I think the unkind, ungrateful? Ah, my dear, I cannot look at thee. Love took my hand, and smiling did reply, "Who made the eyes but I?" "Truth, Lord; but I have marred them; let my shame go where it doth deserve." " And know you not," says Love, "who bore them blame?" "My dear then I will serve" "You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat." So I did sit and eat. Not to sound weak but this one had me choked up. I remember i used to be and when I first accepted Christ into my life. It brought back good and bad memories....this guy is the bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment