Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Twelfth Night


This is by far one of my favorite stories that we read during the semester. One of the parts that describes what is going on in this section best for me starts with line 33 of Act 2 Scene 2:


How will this fadge? My master loves her dearly,
And I, Poor monster, fond as much on him,
And she, mistaken, seems to dote on me.
What will become of this? As I am man,
My state is desperate for my master’s love.

I think this encompasses the chaos that ensues in the story and the twisted love triangle that is in place. I love how intricately woven everything is in the story. The thought that was put into everything from the personalities to confusing names (Olivia, Viola, Malvolio) just feeds into this being such a funny and chaotic story. One of my favorite things was when Maria tricked Malvolio into acting like an idiot to prove his love to Olivia. I felt like she was showing her genius because the “secrecy” of the letter; Malvolio didn’t explain his randomness to anyone to make sure it was kept secret. I always associate Shakespeare with Romeo and Juliet, so I really liked reading this because I don’t think I would have seen Shakespeare in the same light. I thought the play was so funny, and it was witty. It wasn’t just stupidity that makes you laugh; it was well thought out and orchestrated. I think this was also an enjoyable read because it was one of the first times where we were just reading for enjoyment (atleast for me) as opposed to constantly looking for themes, undertones and motifs. It just basically celebrated chaos at its best and poked fun at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment