Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Absalom and the Achitophel

As I ponder this poem , Absalom and Achitophel, it makes me mad because I can see the injustice which was done. I usually side with the original government in situations like these and maybe that is because I already know who wins in this case. This is history. It's not going on right now. I find myself saying yes, a similar political situation may be going on right now but we won't know this until it 's declared history. Why then would King David be compared to King Charles the second? I really like King David. I always have even before this poem. I don't know much about King Charles but i don't think i like him. (I'm kinda bias towards the old kings of England) Really it doesn't matter if I like there character anyway. What does matter, however, is the fact that there were people out there who despised King David and King Charles. maybe the question isn't about why these men were hated but why there is a trend or pattern in which we can compare king David's reign as king to King Charles' reign. Again let me reiterate that I do not know much about King Charles and the history of his monarchy, therefore, I am going to write about King David and Absalom.

Once a long time ago, I had to write a paper on Absalom which now looking back I'm glad that i did because we are learning about him from the perspective of an English poet. Anyway to make a long story short in my research of Absalom I began to hate him. I hated him because he was rebellious towards his father and his father's kingdom. I hated him because he was tiring to kill King David. I hated him because he represented everything evil. i hated him because I saw myself in him . Paralleling King Charles (who represents David) who believed he was " Divinely appointed" to be king just like David was is interesting to me. In studying the old testament ( very briefly) what I learned was to compare the kings of old testament times to the ones in old England is heresy in my opinion. David was anointed by God to be king through the means of the prophet Samuel and to take it back even further, Saul was the first king of Israel. God gave the people of Israel a king because they compared their nation to other nations. foreign nations had kings. The Israelites at the time were broken into 12 smaller tribes. These tribes were weak separate and were being attacked regularly by stronger foreign tribes with kings. They believed that the creation of one supreme ruler would unite the 12 tribes and basically protect the nation as a whole from outside attack. In doing this they were saying to God that he wasn't good enough and really I think they were mad at God for allowing them to look weak and be weaker in essence then the nations who did not worship the true God. They basically turned away from God and looked towards man to be there new God. God warned the people of Israel (through his prophet Samuel) before he gave them a king that they wouldn't like having a king. The people didn't care. Their First king was king Saul who was a horrible king. to make a long story short he fell out of fellowship with God, possessed with evil spirits, and removed from the throne by God in a series of unfortunate events. King David succeeded king Saul. That is way today we call Jesus our king because he was a direct descendant of King David
Why did Absalom hate his father? my guess is that he was burdened by the fact that Amnom Absaloms other half brother had raped his sister other half sister, Tamar and David didn't do anything about it. So in Absalom's rebellion towards king David was deeper then a political upheaval. It just goes to show you the power of persuasion . Absalom and Achitophel got David's entire entourage to fight against him. With the exception of David's army. Absalom came and divided the people just like the Whigs did in the days of King Charles.
In the end Abalmon's rebellion failed him and he ended up killing himself. It seems like back then men who went against God killed themselves. Saul, Absalmon and Judus all committed suicide. it's hard to tell whether they were out of fellowship with God or if that was God's plan all along. in Judus's case, he was used by God as an instrument of evil to complete God's will in being that he played a role in the betray of Jesus. Anyways where am I going with this? Absalom and achitpphel is a political poem that I really didn't like because I thought it was hard to read and I didn't understand what was going on because I don't know anting about King Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment