Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Beggar's opera act 3

Which way shall I turn me? How can I decide
Wives, the day of our death, are fond as a bride.
One wife is too much for most husbands to hear,
But two at a time there's no mortal to bear.
This way, and that way, and which way I will,
What would comfort the one, t'other wife would take ill.
-Macheath
While reading the beggar's opera act3, I started to hate Macheath. He's a dog and he deserved to die. Especially for the way he treated women. He's no different from some of the guys that are out there today. John Gay was good at capturing the ugliness of people through his characters in this play. it just seems that Macheath is trying to make excuses for himself in the song above. I have no pity for him . If he'd thought with his head and not with what was in his pants then he may not have had so many wives thus, alleviating some unwanted pressure. How come he had so many wives, anyways? . There is much to be said about the type of women that Macheath was involved with. Some of them were like female version of him. Actually, I loved that. I also liked that one of his own boys turned him in. That just goes to show what money will do to people. And it also shows how fake Macheaths life was. He was always surrounded by many people but none of them were truly his friends. I think this play was about love. The love of money, sex and guns. The characters were pretty messed up too. The only one who was slightly sane was Polly and even she was made to look like a fool. It's funny how that works. The same thing happened in 12th night with Malvolio. Except, in my opinion, he deserved to be treated like dirt. Polly really didn't deserve how she was treated. Except for her poor choice in men. so, she brought it on her self and if you want to look at it that way she deserved it too. Her parents seemed to think so. Even know this play was supposed to have a happy ending , I still think it was a tragedy. Polly was still always going to be called a slut by her parents and she ended up with a total jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment