Saturday, April 11, 2009

Oroonoko

Did you know that Aphra Behn was a spy? That gives me a different perspective on her view of the slave trade. That may explain why her character in the book was in such close proximity to the slaves. I would have thought that during her time upper class women wouldn't want to have anything to do with the salves but not Aphra Behn. Although, Oroonoko was pretty striking maybe the narrator was in love with Oroonoko or maybe she was so close to the slaves because she was spying on someone involved in the slave trade for the English government. Either way the lady was really smart. I really enjoyed reading this story. My favorite part was the end because it can be a happy ending depending on the way you look at it. I see it as either one, you can be discussed with the ending or two you love it. If you hate it then you see it as Oroonoko killing his pregnant wife and then facing a gruelling death that no man should ever talk about( but Aphra did anyway). If you love it. You look at it from Oroonoko's perspective and say it's a happy ending because Imodima and Oroonoko finally got to be together and they were freeee. I think the author intentionally wrote the book the way she did so that the reader would sympathize with Oroonoko and see his act of murder as a heroic act. I just goes to show you how powerful persuasive writing is. I think Aphra Behn was the master of persuasion.
She made it to where Oroonoko could do anything and still look good and be justified for his actions. I think Tony was right on when he said that the narrator was presenting trial case. The whole story was a trial case.

No comments:

Post a Comment