Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why Do All These Stories Follow the Same Script?

Whe reading the first part of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight", I cannot help to see the similarities between this book and Beowulf. Both stories have a central, dominant, heroic, character that takes it upon himself to step up and defend his turf. The green knight could be compared to Grendel, just as Sir Gawain could be compared to Beowulf. King Aurthur, in his old age was willing to take on the green knight"s challenge because of his pride. Gawain feels it is nessesary to protect the king, therefore he sacrifices himself in exchange for the kings life. This is similar to the way that Beowulf decided to help Hrothgar. He felt obliged to help a helpless king. It is amazing to me that so many of these old stories follow a similar path. It is kind of like the classic western. You have a sheriff and a deputy verses a band of cowboy thugs. Movies like Toombstone, Unforgiven, and Apaloosa all follow the same script. Stories like Beowulf, The Odyssey, David and Goliath, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, all follow a specific formula. Good verses evil, and a heroic character that takes on the burdon of his own people.

2 comments:

  1. sorry but I didn't get the impression that Author was an old man. on the contrary I'm pretty sure he was still young. if you read lines 85-100 in the poem you'll see where i get this. but I agree with you that Sir Gawain was fulfilling his knightly duty to the king. Like they followed a deep code of arms. That probably goes with his own family crest with the five point star that represented truth. by stepping in and playing the game instead of the kind. Like in Beowulf their was only one valiant enough to stand with his king.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woops. I guess you are right. I have read this book a few times before this class and I always thought Aurthur was older. I guess I was wrong. Thanks

    ReplyDelete