Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Beowulf

Out of all the epic poems I have read, if I had to pick one I would say "Beowulf " is my favorite. I think it is really neat how Grendel, who has killed tons of people and who everyone is afraid of, is scared of Beowulf. When Grendel went into Herot and went to go after Beowulf, I liked that Beowulf grabbed his arm and ripped it off, then hung it on the wall for everyone to see. This epic poem reminds of me of like a modern day bully who finally gets a taste of his own medicine. I know that Grendel is supposed to represent evil and that he kills a lot of people, but I kind of feel bad for him. Don't you ever wonder what made Grendel so mean? Sure, he was born with it, and this is an epic poem so there had to be some form of evil, but something deeper than that. Like maybe because he was raised in a swamp and hates his life. I feel bad for the guy, but at the same time he doesn't have to take out all of his anger by killing everybody in Herot...

No comments:

Post a Comment