Monday, January 19, 2009

English Language

Reading through the intro to English Literature I have found some pretty interesting facts. Who would have thought that the word "Lord" was formed from the old english words "loaf" and "protector", this making sense because a Lord protects his kingdom.
The text goes on to describe how many poetic writers would use a "Compound of two words in place of another as when sea becomes "whale-road" or body is called "life-house"" I find this very neat. This is a way of understanding how to interpet poetry, as many people have a hard time doing. While trying to find a deeper meaning to writing, you must look at the word combination and ponder "what do they mean?" I find reading the introduction is almost necessary for many people. If you have no background or sense of style of earlier works, you will not understand what the writers are trying to point out.

3 comments:

  1. I agree completely. What i found fascinating about the reading was that the entire English language is comprised of many other languages. In some remote part of my brain I totally knew that but just seeing it in writing and reading all the the examples made it more concrete to me. I have a new respect for the language because now i know the history behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points. Cambridge, too, I hope you'll have a healthy "disrespect" for those who want to cement the language and pin it down -- think of all the words of computers that have entered English: download, email, google, LOL, ROTFL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These compounds are called kennings. They are thought to be the descendants (so to speak)of compound words, such as "overalls" or "playground."

    ReplyDelete