Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sorry it took me so long to write this, truth is I didn't go to class on Wednesday and I totally forgot we had to do this blog thing! Anways I figured I was supposed to read pages 1-24 and now I am supposed to talk about what I got from it?? Well, I thought that it was very interesting to learn how words come about. It seems like everything derives from latin! I have read stories from all of the periods ( Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-Norman, and Middle English) in my previous English class, so I actually was aware of most of the things that they were talking about. To be honest, my old english class seems a lot like this class and I hated it! I really enjoy Dr.Kilgore, but I just am not good at understanding Beowulf, Chaucer, and things like that. With that said however, some things that I did learn and enjoyed learning was how to pronounce certain letters and words in Middle English. Reading Caedmon's Hymn to me was really boring. All I got from it was that Caedmon was given a gift to sing so he went and wrote some more versus for his song. To me stuff like this is not interesting. Maybe I am missing the point of the story (which I often am) but that was all I got from it!

1 comment:

  1. Let me engage you on why you don't find it interesting. It's going to be a looooong semester if you don't find some way to "hook in" to this. What do ya say?

    ReplyDelete