Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I thought this class was going to be rough as far as the first chapter, but as I read on I learned another valueable lesson, which is to give it time. As I read and start to understand the changes and contributions by others to the English language I find it more interesting and also find myself questioning our past. I honestly though that Medieval times was about war and conquest. Not about the religious movement and the authors of poetry. Never gave it much thought about the English langauge not being as pure as what I had thought it to be. The French, Germans and Indians of whom all had something to do with the shaping on modern English because of words we have borrowed and or now use. The different authors of poetry and how its translation has inspired others. What I really find fancinating is the use qoutes I though were only from the bible. This peotry or what I have read, like the bible speaks in parables in which speak of a struggle or carries a meassage. I honestly though this was going to be boring, yet I find myself wanting to read more, I think alot has to do with the relationship to my faith. I also believe it is about interpretation, by this I mean we all can read the same thing, yet get a whole different view from what is read. In "CAEDMON'S HYMN"(pg24) what grab me was the message of hope and the strength of faith. This was about a man who received the gift of song and had received it during a time that christianity was not allowed. It reminds me of when I first receive my salvation and was scared to sing in church, but because of my faith and belief in God I now can get up and sing with the best of them, just not on the same note. The Wander(Earth Walker) I found this one to be deep, in class we talked about a man who has lost the things that were important to him. It reminded me of my days in the Marines, the friends which I fought with side by side with and with whom I shared a special boond, our cause, or the mission given to us. The lessons in which it gives, for example " The wise man must be patient, must never be to hot-hearted, nor too hasty fo speach, nor too fearful, nor too glad, nor too greedy for wealth, nor ever to eager to boast before he has thought clearly" (p113) reminds me of a bible verse " It is better to heed the wiseman"s rebuke, than to listen to the song of fools" I truely enjoyed this reading because these are tools I can use when speaking to young men, in my own words of course. The Wife's Lament in which I know it is about a wife who is separated from her husband, who has to make peace with warring tribes. But again maybe I am just a sap, but it took me to my days of when I was first married....let me explain I was married in 1983 here in Beaufort S.C. to a wonderful black woman, which we have now been married to for 25 years, but I remember the differences others had and their dissagreement with our union, having to keep peace and our separation due to my numerous deployment in the Marine Corps, maybe I am just tripping, but I feel poetry takes people on different voyages, one which sometimes hurts, but also feels good.....I hope I am doing this right....Peace

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, you're doing this right... as you wrote "poetry takes people on different voyages."

    Nice to hear some your history, too. It's fascinating to me how (where we come from) interacts with how (we understand what we read). There's some sort of balance we have to find -- and I struggle with this too -- between what the text says and what we want to hear.

    And Medieval lit -- as you're seeing -- is much more than war and conquest! Though it is that too.

    ReplyDelete