Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ceadmon is the "Creed" of our time

When reading Caedmon's Hymn, I could not help to ponder and attempt to decide weather or not Ceadmon's ability to sing was God given, or a simple plaecibo effect. In other words, did God truley give this illiterate man the ability to sing? Or did this man have the ability all along, only to be inspired by a simple dream. Maybe he was embarrassed to sing in front of a crowd. Or better yet maybe he wouldnt sing because he was afraid to be ridiculed. I know one thing, I wouldnt sing even if I felt I was inspired by God. For one, I cant sing and would be extremely embarrassed if I was forced by God to sing. Look at that band "Creed" for example. They suck! However, they feel they are on a mission from God to spread God's word. They do not mind however making millions of dollars in the process. When reading Ceadmon's Hymn, I felt that Caedmon sang, and overcame embarrassment, to self conciously attempt to be in the good graces with God. It is selfish in a way. Maybe he has not lived a good life, and he feels guilty that his relationship with God was in good standing. Only by learning, and being inspired to sing will he connect with God. This is how I believe "Creed" rolls! There is guilt somewhere down the line, and by singing about God, one feels better and ultimately redeemed. Bands like Creed feel that they can cure wicked paople and sick people through their inspirational music. They are in fact taking on a "Jesus" like role by curing the sick and helping the poor. Blasphemy!!

1 comment:

  1. James,

    I sympathize a bit with your skepticism about Caedmon's motives (but aren't you reading your ideas about religion back in time?), but where I aim my skepticism is with Bede who tells the story. This appears in the Ecclesiastical History of English People, which is a church history book.

    That said, it's a moving story about Caedmon (as Tony pointed out) . And there's a long tradition of people being inspired to write poetry.

    And as for Creed, I share you disdain. U2 and
    Bono is the much better example!

    ReplyDelete