Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Wife of Bath Prologue

Wow, where do I begin with this one. There is so many double standards that range from reading the prologue and tale. I think the general idea that Chaucer was trying to convey to his readers that in his time, the anti feminism of the church was a strong controlling factor ( I got this information from google). Women were frequently characterized as described by Chaucer, as almost monsters; they were sexually insatiable, lecherous, and shrewish, and they were patronized by the church authorities. Women were not allowed to participate in church in any way.
I mean in some cases that is how it is today, I not really aware of the church situation simply because I don't find that type of information relevant to what I came to church for. I am pretty sure that is still the case in many degrees in many churches.
And Likewise, in Chaucer's time, a second marriage was considered suspect, so the Wife of Bath carefully reviews the words of God as revealed in scripture. And her knowledge of scripture (although confused at times) reveals that she is not simply an empty-minded woman.

So basically in the prologue the Wife of Bath explains why she had been married so many times and she describes her husbands. But to me it almost like she is trying to justify why she is doing this, as almost to say the woman's anthem "Men can do it why cant we?" I believe that the Wife of Bath is social and emotionally detached female that is looking for fulliment in these men and she is not finding it.
I mean she made a statement like "if everyone remained a virgin, she offers, who would be left to give birth to more virgins? Even more basic, she maintains that the sex organs are to be used for pleasure as well as for procreation". I mean she makes logical sense in that aspect of it, but she is justifying being a "hoe".
That is where the double standard comes in for men and woman and it relates to this day and age as well. The men can go out and sleep around and it is ok but the woman cant that would make her "loose", "hoe", and a lot more other things.
I mean she admits that she is a boisterous woman who enjoys sex and is not ashamed of it — a violation of the medieval view that saw sex as justified only for procreation. She also denies the popular belief that women should be submissive, especially in matters of sex.
That's crazy as hell! (with the help of google, I have to give to credit!)
But that aspect that you have to attribute to this prologue is that the Wife of Bath's prologue is not her argument with the mores of her time or with the strictures of the church, but the very wonderful portrait of a human being. She is a woman of great vitality, a woman who is wonderfully alive and responsive. And after five husbands and hardships — she has lost her beauty and her youth — she has survived. She has the power to enjoy life which was frowned upon by the church ,and she has the will to enjoy what she cannot change and that bothered the church.
I mean this story is very bias and you cant be when you read it and I had to learn that quick after we had the discussion in class about this story

No comments:

Post a Comment