Wednesday, February 25, 2009

King Henry/Wyatt/Mary/Elizabeth

I learned alot in the introduction into the 16th century. How difficult it must have been not to have freedom of speech. The printing press and its introduction by William Caxton who was an author and translator which in turn make books less expensive and easier to get. The Renaissance (The rebirth) where it was not only the church which has access to literature but more available to all. How Latin was a language of higher learning which was used to introduce diplomacy and a sign of professionalism. It spoke of Thomas Wyatt who was twice sent to the Tower of London for treason only because of what he felt. I read how black people and Jews were treated unfairly. The things that really stood out for me was how messed up things were. You had King Henry VIII who when did not get his way would execute those in his way who would then put himself above the church. There were alot of conflicts taking place whether it be Martin Luther against the Pope -Bloody Mary against those who opposed her. I had heard about the Spanish Armada but did not know that this battle was really lost due to the weather or as the book states a blessing from god. The quote "God save the Queen" I did not know this came about after John Stubbes spoke his mind and had his hand cut off. "I Have No Peace" was the poem that stood out for me. These poems were deep and seem to have a message within a message one of in most cases was full of pain. I will write its translation.
" Peace I do not find, and have no wish for war; and I fear and hope, and burn and I am of ice; and I fly above the heavens and lie on the ground; and I grasp nothing and embrace all the world.
One has me in prison who neither opens the locks, neither keeps me for his own nor unties the bonds; and love does not kill and does not unchain me, he neither wishes me alive nor frees me from the tangle.
I see without eyes, and I have no tongue and yet I cry out; and I wish to perish and I ask for help; and I hate myself and love another.
I feed on pain, weeping I laugh; equally displeasing to me death and life. In this state am i, Lady, on account of you."
These poems for me seem to use simple words to describe powerful feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment