Monday, February 9, 2009

Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?

First of all, I have to say that I absolutely loved our action news report, everyone did a great job. I think it is so funny how detailed the author(s) get with the idealistic world in which the Knights of the Round Table live….Camelot…..CaMeLoT….CAMELOT! I really think that it is foreshadowing the downfall of these ideal knights. I guess I am just really skeptical of them being completely genuine and borderline perfect. The author also is constantly reiterating the idea of courtesy. For me it could be a good or a bad thing. Everyone can be courteous and polite. In the story, however, it seems to almost be at a point of just being fake.

The whole concept of the color green for me is difficult. I wasn’t sure what the exact meaning was. I mean, the Green Knight and his horse are green from head to toe, and in such an interesting hue. Green is present all through the story, including the girdle that seems to represent honesty, or dishonesty in Gawain’s case. I was reading more about the significance of the color in what I could find online in regard to the Green Knight and found some cool information. The author talked about how the Green Knight has an ambiguous meaning in the story. He comes into Camelot holding an axe in one hand—representing conflict, and a holly branch in the other—representing peace. After I read that I felt like he was there to represent either/both depending on how you approach him and deal with him. Overall I feel like Gawain experienced both aspects because he dealt with the conflict all throughout the story until he “learned his lesson”, then there was peace.

After the whole moral of the story was revealed, Gawain decided to wear the green girdle to always remind him of the sinfulness of his ways so that he would be a good man from that point forward. I immediately thought of the Scarlet Letter, even though she was forced to wear hers, rather than by choice. I just thought of the idea of a permanent reminder right in front of you for the rest of your life and the two seemed to connect. To show support for the lesson he learned, everyone at the round table promised to wear green as well. I know it sounds all warm and fuzzy like everyone learned their lesson and they are going to be EVEN BETTER people than before, but I really don’t believe it. The line that did it for me was 2512, “For where a fault is made fast, it is fixed evermore”. I brought this one up in class and felt like a really good discussion came of it. The whole line can be interpreted in completely different ways. First you could think, it was a quick and stupid mistake that can easily be corrected. On the other hand, you may think that it is a “fastened” mistake that is affixed to you forever. In the speech about wearing the girdle, I felt like he meant he made a bad mistake, but it will forever be fixed by always wearing the girdle. As if that was all it took to make it all better. I guess I am just skeptical, after all, it’s only a model.

No comments:

Post a Comment