Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - Part 1 and 2

The beginning of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight was boring. It described the history of Britain, how Romulus founded Rome, Tiscius founded Tuscany, Brutus founded Britain, and it talked about the fall of Troy. Then King Arthur is introduced who is the King of Britain. Then the story finally starts picking up when they are in Christmas time at King Arthurs Palace. They feast for 15 days until it is new years day. The story goes on to talk about the games and festivities they always play on new years and how they exchange gifts. Then King Arthur announces that he refuses to eat his dinner until he hears a very good story. Then all of a sudden a knight wearin green armor comes in on a green horse. He even has a green axe. He asks to see the leader and King Arthur says he is in charge. Finally, some excitement started happening in the story because I was really bored at first. How funny would it be to be eating dinner with all of your knights and ladies and then all of a sudden a big guy dressed in green including his horse rides in. I really like the imagination people back then had. I mean now a days we have TV and movies and stuff so we tend to lack the imagination that people used to HAVE to have in order to have fun. Anyways I think it is so funny that the knight offers to let somebody chop his head off if he can chop theirs off in a year and a day. What is even more humorous than that is the fact that not one but two people volunteered for this. Why would you do that?? It's actually kinda sick if you think about it the fact that they both wanted to chop his head off. lol its kinda funny though.
the thing I liked most about this story was the way the author used such descriptive language to describe everything. For exmple lines 515 - 520 "And then the season of summer with the soft winds, When Zephyr sighs low over seeds and shoots; Glad is the green plant growing abroad, When the dew at dawn drops from the leaves...". The author is describing all of the seasons in such detail that you can practically visualize it. I thinks the fact that the five point star on his armor represents the 5 senses is really neat. He won every fight with the bulls, bears, and boars which shows how strong he is. I liked the fact that God answered the Green Knights prayer immediately.I think it goes to show that honesty is the best policy. The green knight repented his sins and then his prayer was answered. I am glad that we have Part 2 because I think that it is the most interesting so far. I haven't yet read part 3 but I kind of enjoy this story.

1 comment:

  1. I agree the 2 part had more life and definitely kept my interest, I would have never thought the story would have such a great lesson.

    ReplyDelete