Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Twelfth Night

I think this story is very comical. The whole idea of a female acting like a guy is funny in itself but then you throw in this whole twisted love triangle and its even funnier. The fact that Viola is falling in love with Orsino doesn't surprise me. Actually, that part was kind of predictable as soon as I found out she was going to disguise herself as a man. Of course they would have the woman who is acting like a man, fall in love with a man, it only makes the plot twisted which is what is almost always the case in plays, movies, and books. Then when Orsino had Viola deliver the love note to Olivia, again it was predictable that Olivia was going to fall for the man (Viola in disguise). You could tell from the beginning that it was going to be one big love triangle. Perhaps I guessed it because of the movie "Shes the Man" that we talked about in class. Although Dr. Kilgore said he didn't think that the plots were the same, I can definitely see the similarities. In fact I think that movie helped me better understand this play.
Then to make the play even funnier, Maria decides to play a practical joke on Malvolio, one of Olivia's house members. She wants Malvolio to think that Olivia is in love with him, so she writes a letter addressed to Malvolio that is supposedly from Olivia and talks about how in love she is with him. Of course Malvolio finds the letter and really thinks that Olivia is in love with him. All of this is so clever! I think that they are so funny and it reminds of somehting a group of highschool kids would do!
I actually really enjoy this play so far and I hope it just keeps getting better!

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen the movie She's the Man. Who plays in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda Bynes is the leading role who plays Viola, and Channing Tatum plays Duke. It's cute.

    ReplyDelete