Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Beowulf

Beowulf to me was a very interesting story, it is filled with deception, fear, and action. It was hard to follow especially after seeing the movie first. But it was funny to me how Grendel was such a huge bully to everyone and then soon as Beowulf became a character in the story Grendel lost all the potential to be a bully because he is scared of Beowulf. But aren't most bullies like that anyways? Grendel was to be all tough and mean, and Beowulf being of a weaker existence, compared to Grendel, had Grendel scared of him! I mean I feel kinda of bad for Grendel because the excuse of why he is so mean is be cause he is cursed by being the descendant of Cain. Which is from the biblical story of Cain and Abel in the old testament Genesis Chapter 4. But is that really an excuse for Grendel to be so hateful? The main ideas that I understood from reading this story was that basically the story was suppose to be entertaining, the poem open and closes with the description of a funeral and is filled death. I really have to be honest this wasn't one of my favorite stories, but honestly understand the themes in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment