Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Salve Deus Rex Judaeorum-Aemilia Lanyer

" I done, to make known to the world, that all women deserve not to be blamed though some forgetting they are women themselves, and in danger to condemned by the words of their own mouths, fall into so great an error, as to speak unadvisedly against the rest of their sex; which if it be true, I am persuaded they can show their own imperfection in nothing more: and therefore could wish(for their own ease, modesties, and credit) they would refer such points of folly, to be practiced by evil-disposed men, who forgetting they were born of women, nourished by women, and that if it were not by the means of women, they would be quite extinguished out of the world, and a final end of them all, do like vipers deface wombs wherein they were bred, only to give way and utterance to their want of discretion and goodness" I do not know if I feel the way I do about this writer because I was raised by a single mom or respect for women, but she certainly makes her point. This would be real good for the rappers to hear before they write lyrics degrading women. It seems like we have lost, some of us have forgotten how important women, mothers, sisters and aunts are to our way of life and our survival, but I do not get into the blame game, we are all guilty of something. As far as Johnson, it was easier to understand and follow after class today. I enjoyed Robert Herrick, " Roses at first were white, Till they could not agree, whether my Sapphos breast, or they more white should be. But being vanquished quite, a blush their cheeks bespread; Since which (beleive the rest) The roses first came red" Upon the nipple of Julia's breast was truly well written, it was simple yet powerful. The poem that really made me smile was "When Jill complains to jack for want of meat, Jack kisses Jill, and bids her freely eat. Jill says, Of what? Says Jack, On that sweet kiss, Which full of nectar and ambrosia is, The food of poets. So I thought, says Jill; That makes them look so lank, so ghost-like still. Let poets feed on the air or what they will; Let me feed full till that I fart, says Jill" I wonder if the Jack and Jill sayings I grew up with came from this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment