Sunday, March 29, 2009

Salve Deus Rex Judaeorum

This poem (along with pretty much every poem I have had to read for English classes) was hard for me to understand. I notices she uses a lot of repitition..."tis he that dothe...tis he that goes" "Long mai'st...Long May...Long mai'st....Long mai'st" but who is she referring to when she says he?? I am assuming God? And what does mai'st mean? Okay so I am writing this as I am reading and now I understand that it is God she is referring to. She says "He of the watry Cloudes his Chariot frames, And makes his blessed Angels powrefull Spirits" At least I understand the subject of the poem, that is a start. Since the content is so difficult for me to grasp, I am going to focus on the poetic devices in the poem. I already established that she uses repetition, but she also uses alliteration. When she says "Long mai'st...Long May...Long mai'st....Long mai'st" the words that all begin with "m" are alliteration. The rhyme scheme of this poem is A,B,A,B,C,C.
When she says "Will raine downe fire and brimstone from above, Upon the wicked monsters in their berth " I think she is saying that God will punish evil people. I don't think she means he will literally rain fire, but he will punish evil people. So its obvious that Lanyer praises Jesus throughout the poem which means she is obviously religious. Throughout the poem Lanyer is (I am assuming) the character, but then she brings in Ann Clifford and Lady Margaret. I think Lady Margaret is Ann Cliffords mother. She brings up Eve from Adam and Eve "Our Mother Eve, who tasted of the Tree" along with some other biblical references.
That is all I could really get from this poem. It was very long and I was starting to lose interest seeming as how I didn't understand half of it. Hopefully after discussing it in class tomorrow I will be able to digest the poem better. Hopefully i am on the right track!

No comments:

Post a Comment